PMCI began amidst controversy in 1935 when both the refiners and many independent oil jobbers previously belonged to one statewide organization. Service station competition between the independents and the major refiners caused the break in 1937 that led the independents to form their own trade association called the “Iowa Independent Oil Jobbers Association”. In 1983, the association changed its name to “Petroleum Marketers of Iowa” and later added convenience stores to the name in 2001.
The 1930's fracture developed back when the major oil companies owned most of Iowa's bulk plants and service stations. Some independent jobbers claimed there was unfair competition because major oil was controlling prices on sites they owned. The independents aggressively looked for governmental help. The answer came in the form of a "chain store tax." Two thousand Iowa merchants, many of them independent oil jobbers, packed the 1935 Iowa House of Representatives to applaud speakers supporting one of the nation's highest chain store taxes. The law passed. Because of its lack of influence and finances, the newly formed group “Iowa Independent Oil Jobbers Association”, was not expected to succeed. Over time, the association of members not only succeeded, it now represents more than 2,000 independent business locations.
The association, Petroleum Marketers & Convenience Stores of Iowa, employs a professional staff that provides technical expertise to business owners and highly skilled negotiating on behalf of members to public policy makers. Because every business location in Iowa is owned and operated independent of major oil, consumers enjoy among the lowest fuel prices in the country. Consumers benefit from competition.
75 Year Historic Photo Galleries
PMCI Member Businesses Photo Gallery.
The Board Chairs from 1937 to 2012.